The December cupcake is pure holiday bliss. It's a peppermint chocolate cake with a Hershey's Candy Cane Kiss in the center, white chocolate frosting, and candy cane sprinkles on top.
So festive, so delicious -- it's the perfect December dessert!
Chocolate candy cane cupcakes with white chocolate frostingYields 12 cupcakes
For the cakes
Inspired by Simply Recipes
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 to 24 Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped
Inspired by How Sweet It Is
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1-2 tablespoons milk (or more if needed)
- Candy cane sugar/sprinkles (can be found in the baking aisle this time of year.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line your cupcake tin with liners.
- Melt the butter (cut into chunks), chocolate, and cocoa over low heat (or in a double broiler), whisking until the ingredients are well combined and smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to touch.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the salt, the sugar, the peppermint extract and beat until well combined.
- Slowly add in the chocolate butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Add in half of the sifted flour mixture, mix to combine.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Mix in the remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake pans.
- Place a Hershey's Candy Cane Kiss (or two) into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cream the butter until fluffy in a mixer.
- Add the vanilla and melted chocolate and continue to mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar to the mixer.
- To reach desired the consistency, add in milk 1 teaspoon at a time with mixer on low speed.
- Frost your cupcake and sprinkle some candy cane sugar on top. Enjoy with some hot chocolate!